Thursday, April 28, 2011

Eldorado Canyon

Due to my retail schedule, I had this past Sunday off for Easter. What the heck else would I do but go climbing????
Eldo Canyon was pretty chilly for this late in April, but the temps were perfect for bouldering. Our first objective was the Gill Block where we warmed up on jugs and then got distracted with the IMPOSSIBLE V3 slabs on the front side. Those of you who have ever tried to photograph TJ know why this shot is significant. (Mainly the fact that it exists for the rest of you.)
Diggs used her little monkey fingers combined with some solid footwork to top out "Crimp me silly" V3
TJ and I tried (and failed) to follow in her footsteps but the slab was just not our thing... TOES HURT IN BOULDERING SHOES ON SLAB!!!!
Diggs and TJ were psyched on some other lines on this boulder, and made some progress. Diggs was trying 606 (V10) and moving through the starting moves very well!
Unfortunately she only gets a few goes because the holds are so heinous! (I agree with Ben Elkon's description... INSULTINGLY SMALL.)
TJ messed with "The Grinch" (V11 / V12) and got a feel for the holds.
I was psyched on a problem called "3 feet high and rising" (V7) further down canyon, and once their skin was feeling the crimpers we headed there.
A couple tension moves lead you to a big throw to a sloper. SUPER FUN!
TJ (re)sent quickly and although I did it in overlapping parts, could not put it together. I also seem to have hurt my left shoulder a little bit, so lets hope this is just a tweak and not something serious!
Psyched to go back and send sometime, and super psyched our Easter session didn't get rained out! Where's everyone headed this weekend?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I understand the fury over those V3 slabs. I think it was last year I sent it by warming up from trying that crap-tastic problem and then sending fifth or sixth try. That being my only success for the day when I blew/one hand clapped off the crux hold on that tall boulder by the river which landed me flat in the water and mud with a screwed up wrist and tweeked finger...bad day.