Thursday, September 4, 2008

ROAD TRIP: Part II

As you may have guessed... Rich showed up in the 11th hour at Red Cliff with enough PSYCHE to pull of what may go down as the greatest "audible" call in history.


Despite skewed estimates of the drive time between Vail and Moab we were all in and headed for the desert. We arrived around 10:30 pm, set up camp, and immediately set out for the big-bend bouldering area.
Midnight sessions have their virtues. It was absolutely gorgeous out! Not too cold, not too hot, just NICE. I soon learned that playing with the camera and a headlamp, you could "draw" light pictures.


Of course, given our crew's average level of maturity, this quickly evolved into drawing light penises and the accompanying bag.
Then the idea occurred... Cooperation could yield EPIC results. Rich and I were on ball duty while Dave saw to our esteemed member. While I feel Rich and I succeeded in both size and relative symmetry, I think Dave may have come up a little... Ahem...short? OK, OK, on with the climbing pictures. Sorry. Somehow, years from now, I'm almost certain I will remember the drawing shenanigans more clearly than the climbing. W3RD.

After warming up, Karen and crew got on the "split decision" problem as I walked back to camp for more propane. After lots of tries and some frustration, she found workable beta on that "last go best go" try and managed to pull over the top. NICE! Next on the list was Diggs who had some old business to settle with Senor Trujillo. After some try hard and fun working the problem with Rich and Karyn, she SENT! Congratulations Diggs!
Karyn was able to ride the send train and also pulled over the lip shortly afterward. I'm beginning to suspect her and Dave are taking supplements that allow you to fly. (Pure speculation of course)
Rich also spent some time wrestling with Mr. Trujillo but it just didn't happen. He did seem to be laughing his ass off after hitting the pad each time though so was it really a loss?
Ominous no? I had plans to get on Circus Trick which has managed to elude me for 2 glorious trips to Moab. I cannot begin to explain the psyche coming from plenty of lantern light, a few brew-dogs, and beautiful conditions, but I found it EXTREMELY motivating.
Ahh yes, Dave Cook. Bless Him. He had one hell of a weekend. Return of the Jedi, moves worked out for Immortality, Brown Power, Block Party, and Circus Trick all went down for him quickly and seemingly easily. This dood is crushing!
I was able to pull off Circus Trick and enjoyed it immensely. Swinging from the jug after the dyno is very satisfying, as is pulling over the lip on jugs and sprinting to the top of the block on a moonless night.
We climbed around on various lines until about 3am before turning in. One of the most unique sessions and also one of the most fun that I have ever been a part of.


Thanks to everyone for coming out, being positive, and bringing the GNAR!!!


We should do it again soon!

6 comments:

Situner said...

Oh, and sorry for blurry pics.

Night photography is clearly (heh heh) meant to be left to K-Lad.

-M@

Dave said...

Preemptive strike:

I'm not even going to try and defend myself for the light picture. It'll just look like I'm trying to compensate for something.

sock hands said...

how can has you take such good night shotz? i want want want 2know.


PS: most humorousest photos of best audible evar.

Anonymous said...

the photos do an amazing job of expressing the gnar that had been broughten once upon this desert evening. (in English = NICE POST DOOD!)

Unknown said...

way to go with the light paintings guys looks sick. I still need to go there it looks amazing

chuffer said...

best audible ever INDEED!!!