Monday, October 27, 2008

Joe's Day 1

In answer to the e-mails I've been receiving, Joe's Valley was AWESOME.


Upon arriving, no time was wasted in emptying the car and heading for the boulders. First stop was the Moby Dick area to take care of some old business.


Kristen warming up on "Sunshine".
After warming up, I went on to tackle the Whale. "Moby Dick" going down. (Also notice the sweet tattoos Thomas has in this picture!
Next area was Dark Canyon. I had never been here before. It was VERY cold this particular afternoon but I was immediately psyched on "Maxi Pad". Lots of goes gave up not a lot of progress. It was time to move on.
Next up was "Killed by Numbers". This problem is WICKED.
Kristen enjoyed a very proud showing on the problem which is distinctly not her style. She sent it in only 3 or 4 goes!
SICK!
This guy was everything from beta-monkey to spotter to tour guide to badass extraordinaire!
After spending the afternoon on our projects, we went up to "Man From The Past" which he took down quickly. I believe it chimes in around V10. It certainly was impressive to watch!
While Thomas was resting between burns, I took it upon myself to remove leftover crap from other climbers. This rope was said to belong to a famous Colorado climber who put up a pretty tough problem on the block. It had been there a LONG time and was very dry and sun-damaged.


Why can't we clean up after ourselves AND hike pads in and out AND climb V14? I guess the fact that I have to ask means I will never know.
After watching Thomas send, I got on "Wind Below". I would be psyched to go back and try this line more, but it was not to be on this trip.
Erin sent her project, "Tidal Wave", on the Mine Cart Boulder on the way back to camp as well!
Holy successful day for everyone!
Next it was back to camp for post-send brew-dogs and a COLD night in the tents.


I miss Joe's already.

3 comments:

sock hands said...

supar awesome update!!!!!!1

Unknown said...

Nice! Was surprised how few people there were there. Saturday night was perfectly calm; Sunday night windy as hell. Wanted to check out Dark Canyon but knew I was spanked after getting shut down on some easy stuff on Warmup Area.

Anonymous said...

Wow! If that was just your first day there it must have been a hell of good trip!!!