Sunday, May 18, 2008

Handfull...OF FUN!

Ahh yes. Spring time. Slopers get greasy, bugs come out to feast on boulderer's flesh, and some dude gets a PROUD hand full of Diggity bottom.
Ok, the "some dude" is Kevin, and we're BOTH awfully grateful he caught her. She came very close on Saturday to sending the V6 Double Arete at Morrison South. Proud diggs! Sunday was a new destination for me (Poudre Canyon) and although I did not get much climbing in, I had a ton of fun just hanging out with the crew and taking in the antics. Marcelo is always a good muse. He picked the ONLY piece of snow/ice still in existence over the stream near the boulders and decided to give it a go. I think he was born to be a mountaineer and not a boulderer.
I'm not sure if Ben is playing the air guitar or the skin flute in this picture, but either way, it's graphic! A nice set of boulders right by the water provided a laid back...though buggy...way for the crew to loosen up.
Poudre is no joke. Most of the problems are steep and use sharp crimps which require strange body tension to even hold on to. Powerful, thuggy, and still technical. As you can see, the temps and the style required some brushing and recon.
Despite at least one shut-down for every climber in attendance, everyone had a great time and stayed psyched. I think it's all Ben's fault. I mean, how can you take it too seriously when you have a dude who holds this type of presence traipsing through your session? I LOVE IT BEN!
All said and done it was a great weekend. And YES I have pictures of actual problems and crushing. I am pledging one post a day for the whole week so check back.
I know. SO metal.
What did everyone else do over the weekend!?!

2 comments:

sock hands said...

sad we missed you fellers, but glad you had a good time...

conditions were certainly poor this past weekend, but if you're psyched, the fall shall provide camp-out double session wickedness w/ crispy bug free goodness and wickedness wicked and goodness

chuffer said...

poor conditions in the Poudre. pffft. socktard and I camped out in the Poudre July 4th weekend 6 years ago. we had the place to ourselves and for good reason. to say we got eaten alive is an understatement.

keep going back. I'm sure you noticed how fine the rock quality is. almost every problem is worth 2 or 3 stars. a good day in the Poudre is to do a couple of problems that are new FOR YOU.